
Samuel got in the ring yesterday with a gang of bee's. A railroad tie in our back yard has been buzzing for a few weeks. I imagined with horror the possibilities. But in a moment of mercy spared the colony, choosing instead to keep a watchful eye on the moody creatures. So far so good. Thursday when the landlords daughter stepped on a bee and was stung, I stealthily blocked the openings with boards and watched as the small hive turned out to be at least a hundred bees. I had plans for Nick to poison the lot of them. Samuel got to them before Nick did. Perusing my garden Saturday evening I hear Lillian scream "Mom...Samuel". Just as I caught a glimpse of him in my periphery pulling away the carefully laid boards, I heard screams of terror and pain. He had, well really only three or four bee's ganging up on him. I felt like the bionic woman, if you remember the sound effect when they put her in slow motion doing some incredible thing like...jumping. Anyway, I was that woman, it was probably not the least bit impressive (for lack of sound effect, well my sound effect honestly was probably like "OH #@%$*"; see not impressive). When we got him inside there was a straggler, and he was still screaming. All is well. He was only stung twice; Praise God. But they got him good in the face. I took the bottom picture while he was brushing his teeth. It looks
much worse today, his entire eye is swollen shut. At church every one looked at him and was given this explanation; Samuel said "Bee,bee,bee" while poking his face.

Poor Baby!
3 comments:
Oh that's the worst-poor Samuel! It only takes one event like that for you to never desire to have mercy on a bee's nest again! Emma got stung 3 or 4 times once when she ran into a bee's nest and now I am like a mad woman with the wasp and hornet killer, always having it available and hosing them down and laughing as they drop dead. Don't mess with a momma bear's cubs!!!
That's terrible! His puffy eye is so sad/cute. Way to brave the bees and save your kid!
Caleb got stung on his finger about a month ago (because he decided it would be nice to catch a bee . . .). Now, whenever he sees someone new, he holds his finger out and says, "Bee."
Post a Comment