Saturday, September 11, 2010

Our own little Eden (the garden variety)



We have been in this little house for about two months. In this time we have put in a garden with Collard Greens, Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, Lettuce...



I prayed and worshiped while I planted. I am trying to put some of my hope and suspicions into practice. Prayerfully stewarding the earth. My hope is that Christ in me will work through me to sanctify and bring abundant life to all of creation. Maybe through the laying on of hands, or my breath, or my prayers; who knows. But Mark 16:15 says that we should take the good news to ALL of creation. I am going to spend a little time applying myself to this principle.




Well, our garden is lovely and we are in the process of planning for a bunch of chickens. However another thing is happening. There could be many combination's and reasons. But my life is being inundated with life. We have 3 Raccoons, at least a Opossum, many Birds, worms, crickets (they chirp for us in the doors and windows), and spiders. Today we have aquired a beautiful cat and this week noticed a noble hawk (that likes to eat the birds) and perches in our large oak trees. In the last few weeks we have caught a caterpillar and released a butterfly (!), reunited a baby squirrel with it's mother, and well, acquired this cat.


As we were walking home from the bus stop a few weeks ago, right before we left for Kansas City, Lillian caught a huge velvety catterpillar. It was fantastic! When the catterpillar was scared it would rais it's head up and make itself look like (to me) a baby mouse; very strange. She put it in her bug house. One night after we returned from KC I was reading "The Very Hungry Catterpiller" to Sophia before bed. "Oh my goodness!" and "Phew!" I ran to the laundry closet and there it was a "...beautiful butterfly". We were all very pleased.



Nick and I saw the cat last night on the back steps. I thought it was pretty. This morning it approached the children in the backyard with purrs and rolling tummy up, like a dog. She hasn't left and lets the children pick her up. They are of course thrilled. Nick and I explained that we would treat her neighborly (invite her for tea or a warm bowl of milk...I know I am asking for it) but nobody owned her especially NOT us; she is free and welcomed (!) to come and go as she pleases.


My bunch, in a very honest picture I think.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I called you the other day, hope you are feeling better! Call me sometime :) :)

janna